Biggest Massage Oriented Forums on the Planet - Massage.forum | MassagePlanet.net | Massage.live | Massage.chat

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marketing to Realtors

Reaction score
Have any of y'all ever done it?

What got me to thinking about it was this. I started wondering if I had sent my mailout and card to my realtor, which made me remember that she is a great realtor and how if you bought or sold a house through her she came by shortly after you moved in with a gift. Very sweet and thoughtful lady. Which made me think that moving is a real pain, pain in the back, back pain..... MASSAGE!!!! Then wouldn't a great gift to a new homeowner from the realtor be a GC for a free massage along with a card that says "Moving can be a real pain.. in the back. Hope this relieves some of it...

The realtor/s could purchase them in batches of 10. Or they could be coupons for 50% off or something similar...

Whatcha think?

Feel free to use it. Has anyone ever done something similar?

I actually have done something like that. My son bought a house and he got a gift certificate for dinner at a nice restaurant. So shortly after I made the rounds at the local realty offices. I took a gift certificate for a free 1/2 hour for someone from the office, so they could check my place out. I had a flyer for them to put up in the lunch room, etc. I had a pretty hit and miss response. Some of the offices bought a bunch of certificates and some of them probably threw the flyer away before I was out the door. But the really good realtors that bought certificates have given them to people that have become really good steady clients. I don't think that one person has brought back the free 1/2 hour, but it was definitely worth my time and effort to go to those few offices. Good luck and have fun with it. Lisa

I too have heard of doing this and it is stupid that I have yet to do being that my Mom used to be a realtor and knows quite a few of them around town!! Now, this also applies to, if you get in good with one or two realtors, you can actually get their lists of homes for sale with in your city, I know that in my town people move but alot move just to another house not another town so, get the up on everyone. How about a nice "house warming" gift? With the GC give like a nice candle and wrap it nicely?? Ishould actually do this!!

This is a great idea, however, you may need to discuss this with any realtors you may meet. My husband is a realtor and ethically they are only allowed to give a GC that is valued under a certain amount to clients who have bought and/or sold with the agent. Otherwise it could appear to look like a "kickback" for the buyer/seller for using the realtor. Your best bet is to contact the local realtors board and discuss with them any ethical problems they may see with the GCs. Good luck! :D

Doda said:
My husband is a realtor and ethically they are only allowed to give a GC that is valued under a certain amount to clients who have bought and/or sold with the agent.

Do you know what that amount is by chance?

The amount he told me was that it could not be valued over $25. That would cover a half an hour in some places, not quite enough in others. I do have a suggestion that I tried, however. Some times realtors set up booths at fairs or community events. I donated a couple of 1/2 hr. GC that they had drawings for at the end of the event. That gives them the leads and the PR they are looking for, and can result in your name getting out there and the possiblity of getting a client or two. Good luck! 8)

How did you go about making the initial contact? I am considering doing this and am trying to write a letter......do I address it to all the realtors in the office? Like "Dear Realtors"?? Just send a brochure with a note saying that bulk sales are available, or give them a detailed plan for how they could use this?

I am meeting today with a realtor friend of mine to discuss options and how-tos. I'll let you know what I find out.

Rose of Sharon said:
How did you go about making the initial contact? I am considering doing this and am trying to write a letter......do I address it to all the realtors in the office? Like "Dear Realtors"?? Just send a brochure with a note saying that bulk sales are available, or give them a detailed plan for how they could use this?

This is why it is great to belong to the Chamber of Commerce and attend the networking events. Or/And attend all home shows because you will be much more successful if you meet the person instead of sending a letter.

Just finished the meeting. She got me to think of some things that I hadn't before thought of.

She said that if it doesn't cost the realtors anything then they will be much more likely to help with the marketing. She said that 99% of the realtor offices have some sort of weekly sales meeting. At these meetings there is usually 1 or 2 people giving some sort of presentation. She suggested giving a little

//

Options:

BBCode is ON

is ON

[flash] is OFF

[url] is ON

Smilies are ON

Disable BBCode

Disable smilies

Do not automatically parse URLs

Attach a signature (signatures can be altered via the UCP)

Notify me when a reply is posted

ย 
ย  ย 

//

Upload attachment

If you wish to attach one or more files enter the details below.

Filename

File comment

ย 

ย 
ย 

Topic review - Marketing to Realtors

Author

karsky1

ย 
Post subject:ย 

ย 

i live in a small town in ND. and i'm renting an apt in town here and one of my clients is my realiter and she is a great way of getting my name out there w/ her other renter's so... i k i've heard a lot of people who come to me say that my realitier says that i'm very prof. and she loves to come and see me!!!!

i live in a small town in ND. and i'm renting an apt in town here and one of my clients is my realiter and she is a great way of getting my name out there w/ her other renter's so... i k i've heard a lot of people who come to me say that my realitier says that i'm very prof. and she loves to come and see me!!!! :lol:

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:03 am

naturalhealing

ย 

ย 

What I have done is marketed packages of 10 for $500. This way they can give a gift with a higher perceived value. I would also allow for 2 appointments to be used by the Realtor. Giving the discount was never a problem because all ten rarely got redeemed. We didn't sell a ton of packages, but we did have a lot of real estate agent clients. It makes people think of you when they need a massage.

What I have done is marketed packages of 10 for $500. This way they can give a gift with a higher perceived value. I would also allow for 2 appointments to be used by the Realtor. Giving the discount was never a problem because all ten rarely got redeemed. We didn't sell a ton of packages, but we did have a lot of real estate agent clients. It makes people think of you when they need a massage.

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:23 pm

RelaxandRejuvenate

ย 

ย 

We are talking about 2 different things here.

A realtor, giving a gift of a massage to a client as a housewarming/thank you, may only deduct $25 of the value. Agents make thousands of dollars on the sale of a home, the tax deduction is immaterial to them. Any agent looking to get repeat business would gladly invest $100 in a relationship with their client. Besides, at 33% tax rate deduction shield, they are only giving up $25 of tax dedutibility. Peanuts compared to their commission.

Real Estate licensing regulations vary from state to state, and they may limit the value of gifts given.

But gifts can also be for referrals, which many not be covered by licensing regulations. We sent our best friends to our agent, who made several thousand selling them a home. He gave us dinner for two at our favorite restaurant.

We are talking about 2 different things here.

A realtor, giving a gift of a massage to a client as a housewarming/thank you, may only deduct $25 of the value. Agents make thousands of dollars on the sale of a home, the tax deduction is immaterial to them. Any agent looking to get repeat business would gladly invest $100 in a relationship with their client. Besides, at 33% tax rate deduction shield, they are only giving up $25 of tax dedutibility. Peanuts compared to their commission.

Real Estate licensing regulations vary from state to state, and they may limit the value of gifts given.

But gifts can also be for referrals, which many not be covered by licensing regulations. We sent our best friends to our agent, who made several thousand selling them a home. He gave us dinner for two at our favorite restaurant.

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:25 pm

Timedess

ย 

ย 

That's what my Realtor friend has told me. She was the one who asked for some sort of deal to be worked out so she could afford to give GC's from dh to these clients. Where it's "written out" I don't know- maybe do a search on the IRS web site? None of the other Realtors we've talked to have corrected the amount so far.

That's what my Realtor friend has told me. She was the one who asked for some sort of deal to be worked out so she could afford to give GC's from dh to these clients. Where it's "written out" I don't know- maybe do a search on the IRS web site? None of the other Realtors we've talked to have corrected the amount so far.

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:52 am

peacenut

ย 

ย 

I would like to see where it say the business gift cap is now at $50. I'll believe it when I see it.

I would like to see where it say the business gift cap is now at $50. I'll believe it when I see it.

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:18 pm

MaybeMobile?

ย 

ย 

Nice! he IRS cap is interesting. $50 you say?
I was thinking more of giving coupons because I dont really like working with GCs.

Nice! he IRS cap is interesting. $50 you say?
I was thinking more of giving coupons because I dont really like working with GCs.

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:37 am

Timedess

ย 

ย 

Thanks for bumping this, MaybeMobile?! This is the group we're targeting right now (regarding my posts on "this week"). We've had some success, though mostly with getting the Realtors to come in rather than getting them to buy the GC's for their clients. OTOH, with the market the way it has been lately, there probably haven't been many closings since then anyway!

How we got started with this was we have a client who is a Realtor, and she asked if she could buy a GC for a client, and then another one. She explained the IRS cap, so we worked out a deal where we give a special session that isn't one of his 'regular" sessions. The cap now is $50, so that's what we price those GC's at. What she recommended doing is taking the chair in to the office and giving samples (which he has figured out need to be LESS than 10 minutes- just a TASTE to get them "hooked"!), and then we pitch the GC's to them as they get off the chair. We've so far set up and done two of them, with the third scheduled for Friday (this is the one that's turned into the Christmas party, which is why we're trying to figure out how to proceed with that deal).

he's had several Realtors say that they'll start buying the GC's for their clients, and 3 have made appointments and come in (two more than once, and both say they will be coming back but the Holidays and one has a new grandbaby so is busy with that). So not the "greatest" response so far, but not "nothing". I think we're going to keep working at it, refining our approach and see where it leads over the long haul- IN ADDITION to other marketing venues!

Thanks for bumping this, MaybeMobile?! This is the group we're targeting right now (regarding my posts on "this week"). We've had some success, though mostly with getting the Realtors to come in rather than getting them to buy the GC's for their clients. OTOH, with the market the way it has been lately, there probably haven't been many closings since then anyway!

How we got started with this was we have a client who is a Realtor, and she asked if she could buy a GC for a client, and then another one. She explained the IRS cap, so we worked out a deal where we give a special session that isn't one of his 'regular" sessions. The cap now is $50, so that's what we price those GC's at. What she recommended doing is taking the chair in to the office and giving samples (which he has figured out need to be LESS than 10 minutes- just a TASTE to get them "hooked"!), and then we pitch the GC's to them as they get off the chair. We've so far set up and done two of them, with the third scheduled for Friday (this is the one that's turned into the Christmas party, which is why we're trying to figure out how to proceed with that deal).

he's had several Realtors say that they'll start buying the GC's for their clients, and 3 have made appointments and come in (two more than once, and both say they will be coming back but the Holidays and one has a new grandbaby so is busy with that). So not the "greatest" response so far, but not "nothing". I think we're going to keep working at it, refining our approach and see where it leads over the long haul- IN ADDITION to other marketing venues!

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:50 am

MaybeMobile?

ย 

ย 

*Bump* *Bump*

I have been looking high and low online for a sample introduction letter for area realtors, but can't find a thing! This is something I have not done so I would like a sample for my guideline, would someone mind PMing me or posting a sample they like, or one of their own?

Thanks

*Bump* *Bump*

I have been looking high and low online for a sample introduction letter for area realtors, but can't find a thing! This is something I have not done so I would like a sample for my guideline, would someone mind PMing me or posting a sample they like, or one of their own?

Thanks

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:04 am

AV8TRX

ย 

ย 

bumping

bumping

Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:58 am

ptmassage

ย 

ย 

Im a little late on this but just signed up yesterday. I have worked with 2 real estate companies in my town but rather than them giving it as a gift i simply asked if I could but a coupon in their information packet that goes to those who are relocating to the area it says "Welcome To The Area" it is a great way to get to them before they get to someone else and I gave them "Because Moving Can Be Stessful" cards to give to those who have lived here but are moving to a new house. Each offers a free 30 minutes with purchase of 1 hour So far good success

Im a little late on this but just signed up yesterday. I have worked with 2 real estate companies in my town but rather than them giving it as a gift i simply asked if I could but a coupon in their information packet that goes to those who are relocating to the area it says "Welcome To The Area" it is a great way to get to them before they get to someone else and I gave them "Because Moving Can Be Stessful" cards to give to those who have lived here but are moving to a new house. Each offers a free 30 minutes with purchase of 1 hour So far good success

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:20 am

jyoti

ย 

ย 

Quote:I lined out the specific how-to in my previous post.

Doh! My bad. Just saw it. Thanks!

[quote]I lined out the specific how-to in my previous post.[/quote]

Doh! My bad. Just saw it. Thanks! :)

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:49 am

AV8TRX

ย 

ย 

My realtor friend said to contact the broker (person in charge) at the realtor's office. That would be the first point of contact. I lined out the specific how-to in my previous post.

My realtor friend said to contact the broker (person in charge) at the realtor's office. That would be the first point of contact. I lined out the specific how-to in my previous post.

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:35 am

jyoti

ย 

ย 

How to approach these realtors?

Not sure if it's a good idea to go into the realty office, or to visit an open house, or what? What about jotting down a realtor's name & # off their SUV at a stoplight, combing the phone books & calling them, or saving one of their bulk mail postcards from your mailbox (or in our area, stuck in the front door or hung from the doorknob)? Would any of those be tacky or unprofessional? Would any of those be particularly good? Or does anyone have other ideas?

How to approach these realtors?

Not sure if it's a good idea to go into the realty office, or to visit an open house, or what? What about jotting down a realtor's name & # off their SUV at a stoplight, combing the phone books & calling them, or saving one of their bulk mail postcards from your mailbox (or in our area, stuck in the front door or hung from the doorknob)? Would any of those be tacky or unprofessional? Would any of those be particularly good? Or does anyone have other ideas?

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:30 pm

Rose of Sharon

ย 

ย 

That is interesting! Thanks for passing on this info. You gave me the brilliant idea to talk to my brother about this.....who happens to be in real estate! How did I not think of that before??? (In my defense, I have not seen him in YEARS, and he was NOT in real estate last time I saw him. I do, however, regularly play online scrabble with him, so I don't have a great defense, LOL.

That is interesting! Thanks for passing on this info. You gave me the brilliant idea to talk to my brother about this.....who happens to be in real estate! :shock: How did I not think of that before??? (In my defense, I have not seen him in YEARS, and he was NOT in real estate last time I saw him. I do, however, regularly play online scrabble with him, so I don't have a great defense, LOL.

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:31 am

AV8TRX

ย 

ย 

Just finished the meeting. She got me to think of some things that I hadn't before thought of.

She said that if it doesn't cost the realtors anything then they will be much more likely to help with the marketing. She said that 99% of the realtor offices have some sort of weekly sales meeting. At these meetings there is usually 1 or 2 people giving some sort of presentation. She suggested giving a little
I asked her specifically about the $ limit on client gifts. She said for tax purposes the limit is $25 but the actual amount spent may be over that.

I asked her specifically about the $ limit on client gifts. She said for tax purposes the limit is $25 but the actual amount spent may be over that.

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:35 am

StressSolutions

ย 

ย 

Rose of Sharon wrote:How did you go about making the initial contact? I am considering doing this and am trying to write a letter......do I address it to all the realtors in the office? Like "Dear Realtors"?? Just send a brochure with a note saying that bulk sales are available, or give them a detailed plan for how they could use this?

This is why it is great to belong to the Chamber of Commerce and attend the networking events. Or/And attend all home shows because you will be much more successful if you meet the person instead of sending a letter.

[quote="Rose of Sharon"]How did you go about making the initial contact? I am considering doing this and am trying to write a letter......do I address it to all the realtors in the office? Like "Dear Realtors"?? Just send a brochure with a note saying that bulk sales are available, or give them a detailed plan for how they could use this?[/quote]

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:34 am

AV8TRX

ย 

ย 

I am meeting today with a realtor friend of mine to discuss options and how-tos. I'll let you know what I find out.

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:23 am

Rose of Sharon

ย 

ย 

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:56 pm

dodab

ย 

ย 

The amount he told me was that it could not be valued over $25. That would cover a half an hour in some places, not quite enough in others. I do have a suggestion that I tried, however. Some times realtors set up booths at fairs or community events. I donated a couple of 1/2 hr. GC that they had drawings for at the end of the event. That gives them the leads and the PR they are looking for, and can result in your name getting out there and the possiblity of getting a client or two. Good luck!

The amount he told me was that it could not be valued over $25. That would cover a half an hour in some places, not quite enough in others. I do have a suggestion that I tried, however. Some times realtors set up booths at fairs or community events. I donated a couple of 1/2 hr. GC that they had drawings for at the end of the event. That gives them the leads and the PR they are looking for, and can result in your name getting out there and the possiblity of getting a client or two. Good luck! 8)

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:30 pm

Texas-gal

ย 

ย 

Doda wrote: My husband is a realtor and ethically they are only allowed to give a GC that is valued under a certain amount to clients who have bought and/or sold with the agent.

[quote="Doda"] My husband is a realtor and ethically they are only allowed to give a GC that is valued under a certain amount to clients who have bought and/or sold with the agent.

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:55 am

dodab

ย 

ย 

This is a great idea, however, you may need to discuss this with any realtors you may meet. My husband is a realtor and ethically they are only allowed to give a GC that is valued under a certain amount to clients who have bought and/or sold with the agent. Otherwise it could appear to look like a "kickback" for the buyer/seller for using the realtor. Your best bet is to contact the local realtors board and discuss with them any ethical problems they may see with the GCs. Good luck!

This is a great idea, however, you may need to discuss this with any realtors you may meet. My husband is a realtor and ethically they are only allowed to give a GC that is valued under a certain amount to clients who have bought and/or sold with the agent. Otherwise it could appear to look like a "kickback" for the buyer/seller for using the realtor. Your best bet is to contact the local realtors board and discuss with them any ethical problems they may see with the GCs. Good luck! :D

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:02 pm

Moonstone

ย 

ย 

I too have heard of doing this and it is stupid that I have yet to do being that my Mom used to be a realtor and knows quite a few of them around town!! Now, this also applies to, if you get in good with one or two realtors, you can actually get their lists of homes for sale with in your city, I know that in my town people move but alot move just to another house not another town so, get the up on everyone. How about a nice "house warming" gift? With the GC give like a nice candle and wrap it nicely?? Ishould actually do this!!

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:39 pm

holmslm57

ย 

ย 

I actually have done something like that. My son bought a house and he got a gift certificate for dinner at a nice restaurant. So shortly after I made the rounds at the local realty offices. I took a gift certificate for a free 1/2 hour for someone from the office, so they could check my place out. I had a flyer for them to put up in the lunch room, etc. I had a pretty hit and miss response. Some of the offices bought a bunch of certificates and some of them probably threw the flyer away before I was out the door. But the really good realtors that bought certificates have given them to people that have become really good steady clients. I don't think that one person has brought back the free 1/2 hour, but it was definitely worth my time and effort to go to those few offices. Good luck and have fun with it. Lisa

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:20 pm

AV8TRX

ย 
Marketing to Realtors
ย 

What got me to thinking about it was this. I started wondering if I had sent my mailout and card to my realtor, which made me remember that she is a great realtor and how if you bought or sold a house through her she came by shortly after you moved in with a gift. Very sweet and thoughtful lady. Which made me think that moving is a real pain, pain in the back, back pain..... MASSAGE!!!! Then wouldn't a great gift to a new homeowner from the realtor be a GC for a free massage along with a card that says "Moving can be a real pain.. in the back. Hope this relieves some of it...

The realtor/s could purchase them in batches of 10. Or they could be coupons for 50% off or something similar...

Whatcha think?

Whatcha think?

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:35 pm

Board index ยป Business ยป Business Issues & Marketing Discussion